Matthias Schell is a member of the firm’s Tax Group. His practice area comprises all aspects of national and international tax law. He is specializing in advising on tax aspects of cross-border transactions and corporate reorganizations. Matthias has also a strong expertise in the area of tax related arbitration proceedings and tax litigation.
Selected Project Samples
Shareholders of PharmaSGP Holding SE on the first German prime standard IPO in 2020 (2020)
- LEA Partners and founders on the sale of BELLIN Group to Coupa (2020)
- pantera AG shareholders on the sale of the majority of its shares to Nexity and pantera Group re strategic cooperation with Nexity (2020)
- Sixt SE on the sale of its shares in Sixt Leasing SE to Hyundai Capital Bank Europe GmbH (2020)
- General Atlantic on new financing round of FlixBus (2019)
- Ardian on the sale of Schleich Group (2019)
- Advice on the sale of all shares in LAP Group (2019)
- ECM on its investment in PikeTec GmbH (2019)
- H.C. Starck on the sale of H.C. Starck Ceramics GmbH to Kyocera (2019)
- Ardian and d&b audiotechnik on the acquisition of its sales partner in China (2019)
- MB Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH on the sale of a minority share in powercloud GmbH to General Atlantic (2019)
- Shareholders of Freeletics on the sale of their shares (2018)
- DBAG Fund VI on the sale of its shares in Cleanpart (2018)
- DBAG Fund VII on the acquisition of Karl Eugen Fischer GmbH (2018)
- Auto1 on partnership with Deutsche Bank and Allianz regarding FinTech Car Financing (2018)
- ECM-Fund GEP IV on the sale of its majority shareholding in MediFox to HgCapital (2018)
- Kathrein Group on the sale of its subsidiary Katek GmbH to the investment holding PRIMEPULSE SE (2018)
- Sixt on the sale of its shares in DriveNow to BMW (2018)
- ECM on the acquisition of a stake in Albrecht & Dill Cosmetics (2018)
- H.C. Starck on the sale of Tantalum & Niobium Division to a subsidiary of JX Nippon Mining & Metals (2018)
Recognitions & Accomplishments
Current rankings in directories as JUVE, Chambers and Legal 500 recognize him as top lawyer for tax law in Germany.
Matthias Schell is author of various publications in the area of national and international tax law. He is panelist at two nationwide tax conferences of the German Attorney’s Institute (DAI) taking place annually, one dealing with Transformation Law/Transformation Tax Law, the other with the taxation of corporations. Furthermore, he regurlarly gives presentations and speeches on tax-related topics, e.g. in the course of the Munich Tax Conference, IFA-events and the Munich Conference on the Taxation of Enterprises.
Matthias Schell studied law in Augsburg and Malibu, California. He holds a doctorate of the university of Augsburg and a Magister Legum International Commercial Law. Prior to joining Milbank, he worked as a teaching assistant in the area of tax and public law at the University of Augsburg.
Matthias Schell is admitted to the German bar and is accredited as tax advisor and certified tax lawyer (Steuerberater, Fachanwalt für Steuerrecht) in Germany. He speaks German and English.
- University of Augsburg, Dr.
- University of Augsburg, LL.M.
- Bavaria, Second State Exam
- University of Augsburg, First State Exam