Nelly Almeida is a partner in the New York office of Milbank and a member of the firm’s Financial Restructuring Group.
Primary Focus & Experience
Ms. Almeida has represented debtors, creditors, lenders, official committees, equity holders, and other interested parties in complex chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructurings, including in the cases of PHI, Inc., (official committee of unsecured creditors), FullBeauty Brands (ad hoc group of lenders), Toys R Us (equity holders), Toisa, Ltd. (counsel to lenders), GulfMark Offshore, Inc. (ad hoc group of noteholders); International Shipholding, Inc. (DIP lender and plan sponsor); Montco Offshore (purchaser), Emas Chiyoda Subsea Ltd. (agent for Constellation facility lenders); Ultra Petroleum Corp. (ad hoc committee of noteholders); Ultrapetrol Bahamas (ad hoc committee of noteholders); Embraport (bank lenders); Southern Air Holdings, Inc. (debtor), Chassix Holdings, Inc. (debtor), and the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, Inc. (debtor). Further, Ms. Almeida has represented monoline insurers with exposure to municipal debt, including in the chapter 9 cases of Stockton and San Bernardino, California and the restructuring of certain entities in Puerto Rico.
Recognition & Accomplishments
Ms. Almeida has authored and co-authored numerous articles, including:
- The Need for Greater Transparency in Municipal Bankruptcies, New York Law Journal, December 8, 2014
- The Reach of the Automatic Stay: One Court Reminds us that Extending the Automatic Stay to Non-Debtors Is “Extraordinary Relief”, Bankruptcy Blog, September 30, 2014
- Credit Bidding Capped Again: The Fisker Factors Create a “Perfect Storm” in Virginia, Bankruptcy Blog, April 22, 2014
- A Recent Decision in the Fisker Case Brings New Life to the Credit Bidding Debate, Bankruptcy Blog, January 27, 2014
Ms. Almeida was a panelist for IWIRC's 24th Annual Fall International Conference – Navigating the Rough Waters of Distressed Shipping and Offshore Sectors.
Ms. Almeida has committed time to pro bono work in the areas of asylum, immigration, housing, divorce matters, and trusts and estates, and she has been recognized for her outstanding pro bono service by Sanctuary for Families and The Legal Aid Society.
Ms. Almeida received a B.A. degree from Amherst College and a J.D. degree, cum laude, from the University of Michigan. She is also fluent in Spanish.
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- Amherst College, B.A.
- New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York