Jed Schwartz is a partner in the New York office of Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy and a member of the firm’s Litigation & Arbitration Group.
Primary Focus & Experience
Mr. Schwartz counsels companies and individuals on a wide variety of complex matters throughout the US, including commercial and securities litigation, stockholder disputes, bankruptcy matters, and regulatory investigations. He has significant experience representing clients in a broad range of industries including financial services, real estate and hospitality, and reinsurance.
Mr. Schwartz’s notable recent representations include:
- Obtaining dismissal of claims brought by foreign exporters arising from currency exchange derivatives. Simmtech Co. Ltd. v. Citibank, N.A., 2016 WL 4184296 (Aug. 3, 2016).
- Obtaining dismissal of Section 11 and Section 12(a)(2) claims against a group of underwriters arising from a secondary public offering of equity securities. Beaver County Employees’ Retirement Funds v. Tile Shop Holdings, Inc., 94 F. Supp. 3d 1035 (D. Minn. 2015).
- Achieving victory on behalf of Citigroup Global Markets Inc. in opposing arbitration by former clients of CGMI’s affiliates, which culminated in a three-week bench trial and affirmance in CGMI’s favor by the Second Circuit. Citigroup Global Markets Inc. v. Abbar, 761 F.3d 268 (2d Cir. 2014).
- Obtaining a $41 million summary judgment award in a dispute between a reinsurer and a managing general agent. Greenlight Reinsurance, Ltd. v. Appalachian Underwriters, Inc., 34 F. Supp. 3d 321 (S.D.N.Y. 2014).
- Obtaining pre-discovery judgment for client seeking to enforce a right of first refusal on a portfolio of hotels and other assets. JD Holdings, L.L.C. v. Dowdy, 2014 WL 4980669 (Del. Ch. Oct. 1, 2014).
Recognition & Accomplishments
Mr. Schwartz was named as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers in 2016.
He co-authored a chapter on “Material Adverse Change Clauses and the Expert’s Role,” appearing in Roman L. Weil et al., Litigation Services Handbook: The Role of the Financial Expert (4th ed., Supp. 2008).
Mr. Schwartz graduated magna cum laude from Fordham University School of Law and was inducted into the Order of the Coif. He received his B.A. with honors from Trinity College, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
- Fordham Law School, J.D., 2006
- Trinity College, B.A., 2002
- New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Honorable P. Kevin Castel, US District Court for the Southern District of New York (July 2009 - October 2010)