Allan Marks is one of the world's leading project finance lawyers, with deep expertise across many infrastructure sectors: power and renewable energy, transportation, airports, rail, water, port terminals, oil and gas, social infrastructure, and telecommunications and digital infrastructure. He advises developers, investors, lenders, underwriters and suppliers around the world in the development, construction and financing of complex infrastructure projects, as well as related acquisitions, restructurings and capital markets transactions.
Some of Allan’s recent and notable transactions include:
- Fengate's winning consortium in connection with the $2 billion Consolidated Rent-A-Car Facility at Los Angeles International Airport
- Vista Ridge, a $1 billion project to create a new water supply for the City of San Antonio, Texas, named “North American Deal of the Year” by Project Finance International, “Water Deal of the Year” by Global Water Intelligence and “Best Utilities Project” at the 2017 P3 Awards
- Many renewable energy project acquisitions and financings for Onyx Renewables LP, Pattern Energy, SoCore Energy and others, or their lenders
- Indiana Toll Road, restructuring and sale for $5.75 billion, named “M&A Deal of the Year (Over $5B)” by M&A Advisor
- Tres Mesas 1 & 2 wind energy complex in Tamaulipas, Mexico, one of the largest sustainable energy projects in Mexico, named “Project of the Year” by MIREC
- Presidio Parkway, a $1.1 billion highway in San Francisco, named “North America PPP Deal of the Year” by Project Finance, “Americas P3 Deal of the Year” by Project Finance International, and “Global PPP Transaction of the Year” by PEI Infrastructure Investor
- Ocotillo Express, a 265-MW wind farm in Southern California, named “Renewable Project Finance Deal of the Year” by Power Finance & Risk
- El Arrayán, a 115-MW wind farm and Chile’s largest wind project, named “Deal of the Year” by TFI Magazine
- Conejo, a 104 MW solar power plant in Chile, named “Mejor Cooperación de Energía Renovable del Año” by CIREC and “LatAm Renewables Deal of the Year” by Project Finance International
- Port of Miami Access Tunnel, a $1 billion road project in Florida, named “P3 Deal of the Year” by Project Finance International, “North America P3 Deal of the Year” and “Global Deal of the Year” by Project Finance, and shortlisted as a “Deal of the Decade” by Infrastructure Journal
- Pocahontas Parkway in Virginia, named “Project Finance Deal of the Year (Americas)” by IFLR
- Acquisition financing for a container terminal at the Port of Los Angeles
- Tax equity investments to finance the Broadview and Electra wind farms in New Mexico and Texas
- Hatchet Ridge wind project leveraged lease financing and private placement of bonds
- Kahuku and KWP wind power projects in Hawaii
- Santiago Metro, $800 million export credit financing to expand subway lines 3 and 6
- Santiago, Chile International Airport privatization, expansion and multi-currency bond financing
- Autopista Central toll road in Santiago, Chile, named “Best Project Finance Deal” by Euromoney
- Monterrey-Cadereyta toll road in Mexico, named “Infrastructure Deal of the Year” by Project Finance Magazine
- SR 125 (South Bay Expressway) toll road project in California, named Project Finance Magazine’s “North American Transport Deal Of The Year”
- Private placement of bonds to finance the acquisition of urban heating and cooling facilities in Chicago and Las Vegas
- Barracuda & Caratinga oil and gas fields in Brazil, $3.2 billion project financing, which received awards from Latin Finance and Global Finance magazines, was named “Project Finance Deal of the Year” by Project Finance, Infrastructure Journal, PFI Yearbook and Infrastructure Finance Magazine, and was ranked “One of the Top Deals of the Decade” by PFI Magazine
Recognition & Accomplishments
Allan is consistently ranked as one of the world’s leading project finance lawyers by Chambers Global, Chambers USA and Chambers Latin America. He is also recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” for Project Finance in IFLR1000, an “Expert” by Who’s Who Legal for Project Finance, and a “Leading Lawyer” in Energy: Renewable/Alternative in Legal 500. He was named one of California’s “Top 50 Development Lawyers” by the Daily Journal.
Allan is an Adjunct Lecturer at the University of California, Berkeley both at the Law School and the Haas School of Business, where he has been recognized as a member of the Haas Business School’s “Club 6” list of exceptional faculty. He was previously an adjunct lecturer for the post-graduate program in Derecho de Empresa at the Universidad Panamericana in Mexico City. Allan was the founding co-chair of the State Bar of California Real Estate Section’s Subsection on Public-Private Infrastructure.
- UC Berkeley School of Law, J.D.
- Johns Hopkins University, B.A.