Sean O’Neill is special counsel in the New York office of Milbank and a member of the firm’s Project, Energy and Infrastructure Finance Group.
Primary Focus & Experience
His experience includes the representation of project sponsors and financial institutions in a range of domestic and cross-border project and structured financings and investment transactions across industrial sectors, including oil and gas, power and renewable energy, transportation, airports, water, and telecommunications. Certain notable transactions include the representation of:
- Investors led by Apollo Global Management Inc. in connection with the long-term strategic investment entered into with The Abu Dhabi National Oil Company for an underlying real estate portfolio valued at $5.5 billion;
- The arrangers and private placement investors in connection with the $1.75 billion hybrid bank-bond facility financing the construction of the 2.0 Bcf/d, 42” long distance natural gas Whistler pipeline from West Texas to the Gulf Coast;
- The creditors in connection with the financing of the JFK Terminal One Expansion Project;
- MUFG Bank, Ltd. and Mizuho Bank, Ltd., as coordinating lead arrangers, in connection with the $3 billion financing of the Cove Point LNG Facility, including a 5.25 million tonnes per annum LNG liquefaction export facility, owned by Dominion Energy, Inc.;
- KfW IPEX-Bank in connection with a $115 million senior debt facility, supported by a loan guarantee issued by the Federal Republic of Germany through Euler Hermes, to Nevada Copper Corp. to finance construction of the Pumpkin Hollow copper project in Nevada, USA;
- The sponsors, Mitsui & Co and ACS Group, and project company in connection with the $650 million construction financing of a desalinization plant under contract to BHP’s Spence copper mine in Chile;
- The Steering Committee of Senior Secured Lenders in the 2016-chapter 11 restructuring and creditor takeover of SH 130 Concession Company, LLC, concessionaire of Texas toll road SH 130, including the negotiation of remediation plan with the Texas Department of Transportation and construction financing;
- Arrangers in connection with the Bakken crude oil pipeline;
- The sponsor and project company in connection with the construction of the Lake Charles LNG 16.2 MTPA liquefaction facility in Louisiana, USA;
- Lenders in connection with the US$266 million holdco financing of a minority interest in the Perdido Regional Host offshore deep-water oil and gas platform in the Gulf of Mexico owned by ArcLight Capital Partners, LLC;
- The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd. and coordinating lead arrangers in connection with the US$1 billion syndicated secured financing of the two 42" diameter Waha natural gas pipelines exporting natural gas to Mexico;
- Arrangers in connection with the $525 million Term Loan B and $30 million letter of credit facility to finance the acquisition by ArcLight Energy Partners III of Hess Corp.’s stake in the 512 MW Bayonne gas-fired facility;
- SBM Offshore, in a $450 million bond financing for its natural gas production center deployed in the Deep Panuke natural gas field off the coast of Nova Scotia with a production capacity of up to 300 MMscf/d of natural gas;
- The Export-Import Bank of Korea, the Korea Trade Insurance Corporation and certain commercial lenders in connection with the $2.1 billion construction financing for a Brazilian steel mill owned by a joint venture between POSCO, Dongkuk Steel and Vale S.A.; and
- Teekay LNG Partners LP and Marubeni Corporation in a $195 million bond refinancing for its liquefied natural gas (LNG) tanker vessel, the Meridian Spirit.
Recognition & Accomplishments
Mr. O’Neill earned his J.D. from Columbia, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and an editor for the Yearbook on International Investment Law & Policy. He received his M.B.A. from Columbia Business School and his B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated magna cum laude with honors in political science and economic history.
- Columbia Law School, J.D.
- Columbia Business School, M.B.A.
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A.
- New York