Munib is a senior associate in the Global Project, Energy and Infrastructure Finance Group. He has developed significant expertise in advising lenders, sponsors and sovereigns on international projects, energy and infrastructure financings in the oil and gas, power, and mining sectors, and in particular specialises in multi-sourced financings involving ECAs, multi-laterals, commercial and Islamic banks. Munib is also a member of the firm’s Islamic Finance Business Unit. Munib has also been on secondment with the Tokyo office of NEXI.
Primary Focus & Experience
His recent experience includes advising:
- the lenders (including 10 ECAs) in connection with the $18 billion Project Marigold Refinery and Petrochemicals Project in Malaysia;
- the ECAs, the commercial banks, the Islamic financial institutions and the joint lead managers on the US$20 billion Sadara Integrated Chemicals Project in Saudi Arabia;
- advising the lenders and ECAs (including SACE, K-sure, K-Exim and UKEF) in connection with financings for Reliance Industries Limited’s Jamnagar Refinery in India;
- Kenya Power and Lighting Company Limited on the refinancing of its existing commercial debt through the negotiation of a US$500m (US$350m and KES15.180bn) term loan facility, supported by a particle risk guarantee to the USD lenders provided by the International Development Association;
- the multi-laterals (including IFC), the ECAs and the commercial banks on the Oyu Tolgoi Mining Project in Mongolia;
- K-sure and the commercial banks on Reliance Industries Limited’s US$550m financing for six Very Large Ethane Carriers;
- the ECAs, the commercial banks and the Islamic financial institutions on the Petro Rabigh Expansion Project in Saudi Arabia;
- Nabors Industries Limited on its joint venture with Saudi Aramco in Saudi Arabia;
- the Kurdistan Regional Government on the US$1.2 billion development of clean water and sewage treatment plants for the cities of Erbil and Sulaimani;
- the lenders on the Barka 3 IPP and Sohar 2 IPP in the Sultanate of Oman;
- the lenders on the Shuweihat S2 IWPP in Abu Dhabi;
- the project company on the Qatofin Petrochemical Project in Qatar;
- the lenders on the Marafiq Jubail IWPP in Saudi Arabia;
- the ECAs, commercial banks and Islamic banks on the Yanbu Refinery Project in Saudi Arabia;
- K-sure and the commercial banks on Reliance Jio Infocomm’s US$750m and US$1bn financings for its 4G telecoms project in India;
- the lenders on the Salalah Power Project in the Sultanate of Oman; and
- the lenders in connection with a US$2 billion Euler Hermes covered facility relating to the expansion of four petrochemical projects in India.
As a member of the firm’s Islamic Finance Business Unit, he has advised the joint lead managers of the US$2 billion project sukuk on the Sadara Integrated Chemicals Project; advised the unsecured creditors committee of Arcapita Bank B.S.C. (c) in relation to the issuance of a US$550 million sukuk; and represented the project company on the US$1 billion Murabaha facility on the QSTech Polysilicon Project.
Recognition & Accomplishments
Munib authored a chapter on Islamic project finance in “International Project Finance - Law and Practice” published by Oxford University Press, authored the UK chapter in “Getting the Deal Through – Islamic Finance & Markets 2018” and authored the England & Wales chapter in The International Comparative Legal Guide to Project Finance – 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 editions.
Munib is recognised as an expert for Capital Markets - Islamic Finance in the 2018 edition of “Who's Who Legal 100.”
- Nottingham Law School, B.V.C.
- University of Leicester, LL.B.
- England and Wales