Jaime E. Ramirez is a partner in the New York office of Milbank and a member of the firm’s Global Project, Energy and Infrastructure Finance Group.
Primary Focus & Experience
Mr. Ramirez focuses on representing parties in the acquisition, development and financing of large scale natural resource and infrastructure projects. His experience also includes the representation of investment banks and borrowers in cross-border financing transactions, particularly in Latin America.
Some of Mr. Ramirez’s recent transactions include:
- The lenders in the Octopus LNG/Power Project, a gas to power project in the Biobío region in Chile;
- Allianz and a commercial bank group in connection with the bank/bond re-financing of the Fermaca El Encino-La Laguna Pipeline, a natural gas transportation pipeline extended approximately 420 kilometers in length and located in the Mexican states of Chihuahua and Durango;
- BlackRock in connection with the bank/bond financing to develop, own and operate the Petacalco coal transport and storage service in the western states of Michoacán and Guerrero as well as to upgrade Lázaro Cárdenas Port’s logistics;
LS Power as sponsor in connection with Spruce Generation Funding’s acquisition financing of the Troy and Armstrong facilities, two oil and gas peaking generation facilities and the Aspen Generating portfolio from FirstEnergy Corp. subsidiary Allegheny Energy Supply Co.;
- Lenders in connection with the acquisition financing by Central El Campesino of multiple power plants currently owned by ESSA (an AES Gener S.A. subsidiary); and
- Sponsors in the Pacifico 1 and Covioriente toll road projects and three consortia comprised of Colombian and international infrastructure companies in connection with the financing of the construction and operation of the Girardot – Puerto SalGar – Honda Toll Road, the Barranquilla Toll Road, the Pacifico 3 Toll Road, all as part of the 4G toll road concession infrastructure plan of the Colombian National Infrastructure Agency.
Recognition & Accomplishments
Mr. Ramirez regularly speaks at industry conferences and has co- authored the chapter titled, The Role of Project Finance in Developing a Region: Trends and Considerations, in “The Guide to Infrastructure and Energy Investment” published by Latin Lawyer.
He is recognized in Chambers Latin America-wide: Projects and as a “Next Generation Partner” by Legal 500 Latin America and was recently named to the “Private Practice Powerlist: U.S.-Mexico,” published by Legal 500.
Mr. Ramirez is the Chair of the Project Finance Committee and serves as a member of the Inter-American Affairs Committee of the NY Bar Association. He is also fluent in Spanish.
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D.
- London School of Economics and Political Science, M.Sc.
- Duke University, B.A.
- New York