Fernando Capellão is an associate in the New York office of Milbank and a member of the firm’s Project, Energy and Infrastructure Finance Group.
Primary Focus & Experience
Mr. Capellão’s primary focus is on project finance and securities matters.
His recent experience includes:
- Representation of the lenders in the US Dollar- and Chilean Peso-financing for the expansion of the Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport in Santiago, Chile, carried out by a consortium formed by VINCI Airports, Aéroports de Paris and Astaldi Concessioni
- Representation of Companhia de Concessões Rodoviárias – CCR in connection with the acquisition of interests in the Juan Santamaria International Airport in San José, Costa Rica, and the Mariscal Sucre International Airport in Quito, Ecuador.
- Representation of the lenders in the US$3+ billion bridge facilities for the construction of 27 drillships by Sete Brasil, and the representation of lenders and borrowers in various other vessel financings, with sponsors such as Queiroz Galvão, Odebrecht, Schahin and GranEnergia.
- Representation of SMBC in the NEXI-supported $200 million export prepayment facility for Amaggi, a Brazilian grains producer, in August 2014, the Trade Finance Deal of the Year according to Latin Finance.
- Representation of the underwriters in the issuance of US$700 million of senior unsecured bonds by QGOG Constellation.
- The underwriters in the IPOs of Queiroz Galvão Exploração e Produção and Droga Raia and in the follow-on offering of Direcional Engenharia;
- Santander Brasil in its international bond offerings;
- Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) in the project financing of two sugar/ethanol plants for Companhia Nacional de Açúcar e Álcool (CNAA).
Recognition & Accomplishments
Fernando is originally from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and earned his J.D. from Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), Brazil and received a Bachelors in Journalism from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), Brazil. He holds a post-graduate degree from the University of Chicago Law School (LL.M.). He speaks English and Portuguese.
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro, J.D.
- University of Chicago Law School, LL.M.
- Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, B.A.
- New York