Benjamin Schak is an associate in the New York office of Milbank LLP and a member of the firm’s Financial Restructuring Group.
Primary Focus & Experience
Mr. Schak’s represents secured and unsecured creditors, official committees, and debtors, in connection with chapter 11 cases, international insolvencies, and out-of-court restructurings, including: Sanchez Energy Corp. (official committee of unsecured creditors); Southcross Energy Partners, L.P. (debtors); Jones Energy Inc. (ad hoc group of unsecured bondholders); GenOn Energy Inc. and REMA (ad hoc group of GEI bondholders); Harvey Gulf (agent for secured loans); Takata (leading automotive OEM); Midstates Petroleum Co. (ad hoc group of second lien bondholders); and Pacific Exploration & Production Corp. (agent for unsecured loans).
Recognition & Accomplishments
Mr. Schak has co-authored several articles, including:
- Insight: Directors and Officers Insurance Policies—Are You Covered?, Bloomberg Law, Sept. 20, 2018.
- D&O Insurance & Insolvency: Navigating the Intersection, Corporate Governance Advisor, May/June 2017.
- Pushing the Borders of Chapter 15: When a Foreign Representative “Flouts” the Purposes of Cross-Border Insolvency in the United States, Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, July/Aug. 2014
Mr. Schak received his J.D., magna cum laude and with the Order of the Coif, from the New York University School of Law. He also received B.A.’s in Mathematics (with highest honors) and Computer Science from Swarthmore College. Mr. Schak was a law clerk for the Honorable Naomi Reice Buchwald of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- New York University School of Law, J.D.
- Swarthmore College, B.A.
- New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit