Alexia Raad is an associate in the São Paulo office of Milbank and a member of the firm’s Global Capital Markets Group.
Primary Focus & Experience
Alexia’s practice centers on capital markets and corporate finance matters. Alexia represents issuers and banks in cross-border equity and debt securities offerings and liability management transactions. She has also represented companies in M&A transactions and Brazilian and international banks in debt renegotiations. Her industry experience covers financial institutions, retail, transportation, logistics, infrastructure and manufacturing. Alexia also advises SEC reporting foreign private issuers on corporate governance and U.S. Exchange Act compliance matters.
Among her recent representations:
- GOL Airlines (one of Brazil’s largest airlines) in the first-ever international offering of notes exchangeable into new equity out of Brazil, multiple liability management transactions and corporate finance matters.
- Initial purchasers and dealer managers in liability management transactions by Brazilian petrochemicals company Braskem.
- Brazilian underwriters and international placement agents in the initial public offerings of Banco BMG and jewelry manufacturing and retail company Vivara.
- Brazilian and international placement agents in the follow-on equity offering of LOG Commercial Properties.
- Julio Simões Logística in its international debt offering and corporate finance matters, and its car rental subsidiary, Movida, in its equity follow-on offering.
- Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional (steel company) in multiple liability management transactions and corporate finance matters.
- Magazine Luiza, one of the largest Brazilian retailers, in its equity follow-on offering and its acquisition of NYSE-listed e-commerce sporting goods company Netshoes.
- Initial purchasers in international debt offerings of AEGEA Saneamento (sanitation company) and Klabin and Fibria (pulp and paper companies).
- Camil Alimentos, one of the largest consumer goods companies in South America, in its initial public offering.
- Brazilian and international banks in the debt renegotiations of ethanol company Usina São Domingos and wood material manufacturer Araupel.
- Avianca, Embraer and Grupo Pão de Açúcar in corporate finance matters and matters relating to their ADR programs and SEC reporting obligations.
Prior to joining Milbank, Alexia worked in international compliance for the wholesale area of the largest Brazilian private bank.
Recognition & Accomplishments
Alexia earned her J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where she was a dean’s scholar, senior editor for the Virginia Journal of International Law and business editor for the Virginia Environmental Law Journal, and earned her B.S. summa cum laude from Babson College. Alexia is fluent in Spanish and Portuguese.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- Babson College, B.S.
- New York