Tom is a partner in the Litigation and Arbitration Group and specialises in international dispute resolution. Tom was listed in The Lawyer magazine’s Hot 100 List, an independently compiled list of leading practitioners in their fields. He was named as a “Transatlantic Rising Star” by the American Lawyer and has been described in the leading legal directories as "totally committed and on top of his game," “an outstanding lawyer”, “an all-round great lawyer”, "brilliant", a “rising star”, “very experienced”, “commercially astute”, with "great instincts and judgement" and “excellent to work with”.
Primary Focus & Experience
His clients have included federal and state governments, state-owned entities, airlines, property investment companies, satellite operators, IT and telecommunications companies, oil and gas corporations, insurers and reinsurers, accountancy firms, banks (both clearing and investment) and other financial institutions.
His expertise includes:
- Arbitration (counsel and advocate) conducted under all of the major sets of rules including UNCITRAL, ICSID, DIAC, DIFC/LCIA, SIAC, SCC, ICC and LCIA, as well as ad hoc arbitration.
- Litigation in the High Court (including the Commercial Court and the Technology and Construction Court), Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of England & Wales.
- Applications for injunctive relief (including freezing injunctions, restraining injunctions, anti-suit injunctions and search orders) and interim remedies in aid of overseas proceedings.
- Advising corporates and financial institutions in relation to anti-corruption policies and compliance with the Bribery Act 2010.
Tom has a specialist knowledge of dispute resolution in the Middle East, a region in which he lived and practised for 3 years.
Recognition & Accomplishments
Tom was listed in The Lawyer Magazine’s Hot 100 List, an independently compiled list of leading practitioners in their fields and was named as a 'Transatlantic Rising Star' by The American Lawyer in recognition of his exceptional work on a number of leading high-profile cases.
Chambers UK ranks him as a ‘leading lawyer’ and has described him as “totally committed and on top of his game” saying that “clients offer praise for his "macro view on complex situations" and his "excellent communication skills."”
Tom has been described in Legal 500 UK as an “outstanding lawyer” with “great instincts and judgement” who is “excellent to work with and establishes great relationships with clients”.
The legal press and leading commentators describe Tom as an "all-round great lawyer", having a “great future” and “commercially astute”.
He is a member of the London Court of International Arbitration, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, the International Bar Association, the Dubai International Arbitration Centre and is admitted to practise before the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) Court.
Tom has written numerous articles which have appeared in publications such as The New York Law Journal, The Commercial Litigation Journal, Energy Risk, Energy World, Global Arbitration Review, The ICC Handbook, The Lloyd's List and various IBA publications. He regularly speaks on both investment treaty and international commercial arbitration.
- Nottingham Law School, L.P.C.
- University of Sheffield School of Law, LL.B.
- England and Wales