Michael L. Hirschfeld is a partner in the New York office of Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy and a member of the firm's Litigation & Arbitration Group.
Primary Focus & Experience
Mr. Hirschfeld’s practice focuses on federal and state court litigation of complex commercial matters and class actions involving securities (Mr. Hirschfeld is a member of the AIG D&O Panel) and corporate law, mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Hirschfeld also has extensive experience counseling participants in international transactions and financings on litigation risks and strategies. On behalf of firm client Liggett Group Inc., he was instrumental in negotiating the first groundbreaking tobacco product liability settlement with state Attorneys General in 1996 that formed the template for the subsequent industry-wide settlement.
Recent matters concluded successfully include:
- the defense of Towers Perrin Forster & Crosby, Inc.’s merger with Watson Wyatt Worldwide, Inc. against claims by former Towers Perrin stockholders seeking a share of the merger proceeds;
- the prosecution of bank lender claims for recovery of additional interest in the Adelphia Communications Corp. bankruptcy;
- the defense of senior secured lenders in the LyondellBasell bankruptcy against fraudulent transfer and related claims asserted by the Unsecured Creditors’ Committee;
- the defense of private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management and affiliates in stockholder litigation relating to the proposed, but not completed, acquisition of United Rentals, Inc.;
- the representation of Cerberus Capital Management and affiliates in connection with their termination of a planned acquisition of United Rentals, Inc.;
- the prosecution of bank lender claims against officers and directors of Global Crossing;
- the defense of mutual fund Neuberger Berman Real Estate Income Fund, Inc. against a hostile takeover; and
the defense of The IntercontinentalExchange, Inc.'s merger with commodities exchange Board of Trade of the City of New York against a challenge by NYBOT floor brokers.