Melainie Mansfield is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy and a member of the firm’s Corporate Group. She has been a partner since 2004.
Ms. Mansfield represents investment funds, private equity firms, hedge funds, companies and various lending sources. Her practice specializes in acting for hedge funds and distressed financial sponsors on all aspects of their investments including stressed and distressed investments, loan-to-own transactions, restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate and securities law matters. Her practice also encompasses direct lending and special situations financings. In addition, her experience also runs across many industries including technology and software, education, health care, manufacturing, chemicals, retail, natural resources, energy and media and telecommunications.
Ms. Mansfield’s practice also includes transactional and general corporate representations, securities financings, and mergers and acquisitions, for both public and private companies. Many of these representations are for formerly distressed companies.
Her recent representations include:
- Distressed investment reorganizations inside and outside of bankruptcy for companies, lenders and private equity investors, including representation of lender groups in Breitburn Energy, Walter Investment Management, Sierra Hamilton, Cengage, and Education Management Corporation
- General corporate representation of public and private companies in the US and abroad, including Purple Communications (formerly GoAmerica), Oneida Inc. (formerly EveryWare Global), and Vertellus Holdings
- Debt and equity financing, including for acquisitions of public and private companies such as Purple Communications, ITC Deltacom, Encompass Digital Media, First Advantage, Shopzilla, Dialogic Corporation and Dex Media
- Acquisitions by investment funds of assets in bankruptcy (363 sales) and other reorganization-based acquisitions, including Radnor Holdings and Vertellus Global
- Offerings of high yield debt securities in US capital markets, including acting in debt offerings by companies such as Integra Telecom Holdings, Inc. and Prospect Medical Holdings, Inc.
- Mergers, acquisitions and investments generally on behalf of private equity investors.
Recognition & Accomplishments
Ms. Mansfield is consistently named as one of America’s leading Finance and Banking Lawyers by Chambers USA. She was also nominated by clients as a "Stand-Out Lawyer" in the Acritas Stars Survey 2018. In addition, she served as the managing editor of the Michigan Journal of International Law.
- University of Michigan, J.D., 1995
- University of Michigan, A.B., 1991