As a partner in the firm’s Global Project, Energy & Infrastructure Group, Ms. Wong focuses on the representation of sponsors and financing parties in connection with the development, acquisition, financing and/or restructuring of energy and other infrastructure facilities in Asia and North America. In her over 30 years of practice, she has led numerous development, financing and acquisition transactions involving solar, wind, hydroelectric, geothermal, biomass, waste energy and other renewable energy facilities, as well as large-scale coal, gas and LNG-fired cogeneration plants, coal gasification, transmission lines, and oil and gas pipelines.
In addition to her specialty in the energy sectors, she has also worked on development and financing transactions involving satellites, telecommunications, technology companies, and real estate (including office buildings, hotels, stadiums, golf courses, amusement parks and other entertainment complexes). She has extensive experience in complex commercial and financial transactions and has participated in numerous project financings, restructurings, private placements, acquisitions and dispositions, as well as leveraged and synthetic leases, municipal finance transactions, aircraft financings, and monetization transactions.
Her recent representations include:
- Two tax equity investors in connection with their investment in a 197 MW wind project in Glasscock County, Texas.
- Two equity investors in connection with their investment in a 198 MW wind project in Beaver County, Oklahoma.
- Two equity investors in connection with their investment in the Block Island Wind Project—the first offshore wind project in the United States.
- Two tax equity investors in connection with their investment in a 250 MW wind project in Texas and a 78 MW wind project in New York.
- A tax equity investor in connection with its investment in two solar projects in Oahu, Hawaii.
- A tax equity investor in connection with its investment in a solar project in Oahu, Hawaii.
- A tax equity investor in connection with its investment in a portfolio of solar projects in Indiana and North Carolina.
- A syndicate of four tax equity investors in connection with its investment in a 230 MW wind project in Texas.
- A tax equity investor in its sale and leaseback of a portfolio of solar projects in Indiana and North Carolina.
- A tax equity investor in its investment in a portfolio of distributed generation solar projects located throughout the US.
- MUFG Union Bank, N.A. in connection with its tax equity investment in the 48 MW Lakeswind Wind Project located in Becker, Clay, and Otter Tail Counties, Minnesota.
- MUFG Union Bank, N.A., Citibank, N.A., Metlife and GE Capital in the lease financing of EDF Renewable Energy’s 143-MW Catalina Solar Project in Kern County, California.
- Abengoa Solar Inc. in connection with the development and $1.2 billion financing of the 250 MW Mojave Solar Project in San Bernardino County, California.
- Abengoa Solar Inc. in connection with the development and $2 billion financing of the 280 MW Solana Project in Gila Bend, Arizona, including the tax equity financing transaction.
- A tax equity investor in connection with a 30MW wind project in Iowa.
- MUFG Union Bank, N.A., Citibank, N.A. and MetLife in connection with the sale-leaseback transaction for the 140 MW Pacific Wind Project in Kern County, California.
- Representation of Union Bank Leasing in connection with the sale-leaseback transaction of the 102.5 MW Shiloh IV Wind Project in Solana County, California.
- Representation of the sponsors in the development of several coal gasification projects throughout the United States.
- Representation of the sponsors in a mine-mouth lignite fired project in Lao People's Democratic Republic.
Recognition & Accomplishments
Ms. Wong was recognized as one of the 2016 “Top Women Attorneys” in California by the Daily Journal. She is also ranked in the “Women’s Power List” by A Word About Wind, profiling the wind industry’s top 100 women. Ms. Wong was also selected in June 2014 as Euromoney Legal Media Group’s “Best in Energy, Natural Resources and Mining” at the Americas Women in Business Law Awards. She is listed in the 2017 edition of Chambers USA and Chambers Global for Projects, and was selected as one of the Daily Journal’s “Top 25 Clean Tech Lawyers” in California and also featured as one of the state’s “Top 75 Women Lawyers.” She is listed as a Leading Project Finance Lawyer in Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law 2013, a Leading Project Finance Lawyer in World’s Leading Banking Finance and Transactional Lawyers 2015, Expert Guides, and a Leading Project Finance Lawyer in IFLR 1000. She is also listed in The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, and has been recommended in PLC Which Lawyer? for banking and finance.
She authored a chapter on “Overview of the Development and Financing of Renewable Energy Projects” in Energy and Environmental Project Finance Law and Taxation (Oxford University Press, 2010), and she co-authored the US chapter in The Projects and Construction Law Review (Law Business Research Ltd, 2011).
- University of Southern California, J.D.
- University of Southern California, B.S.
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit