As an associate in the firm’s Financial Restructuring Group, Mr. Behrens specializes in bankruptcy and restructuring law and represents a wide variety of stakeholders in insolvency situations and in-court and out-of-court restructurings.
Recognition & Accomplishments
Prior to joining Milbank, Mr. Behrens clerked for the Honorable Deborah J. Saltzman of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California. During law school, he externed for the Honorable Geraldine Mund of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California.
Mr. Behrens was named a Southern California Rising Star for Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights by Super Lawyers Magazine for 2015 - 2020. He serves on the board of the Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, and he is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Turnaround Management Association. He served as Chairman of the Beverly Hills Bar Association’s Bankruptcy Law Section in 2017-2018. Mr. Behrens was one of forty participants in the “Next Generation Program” for up-and-coming bankruptcy practitioners at the 2019 National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges in Washington, DC.
Mr. Behrens received his J.D. from UCLA School of Law, where he was Chief Managing Editor of the UCLA Pacific Basin Law Journal. Mr. Behrens earned an A.M. from University of Chicago and an A.B. from Princeton University.
Mr. Behrens has participated in speaking engagements and authored numerous articles, including:
- Understanding State-Law ABCs and Corporate Bankruptcy Proceedings Under Chapter 7 and Chapter 11, Financial Lawyers Conference MCLE Program, February 26, 2021
- Nuts and Bolts of Chapter 11 Plan Confirmation, Financial Lawyers Conference MCLE Program, October 18, 2019
- Just What the Doctor Ordered – Latest Cases in Healthcare, Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum MCLE program, April 1, 2019
- Emerging and Settled (if any) Chapter 9 Issues, Beverly Hills Bar Association MCLE program, April 7, 2016
- 8 Reasons We Don’t See More Chapter 9 Bankruptcies, Law360, December 5, 2014
- Shoulda Put A Lien On It – 4 Advantages of Security, Law360, November 26, 2014
- Don’t Fear the 363 Sale, Fear the Delay that Follows It: Asset Sales and Confirmation Delays in Large Chapter 11s, ABI Journal, March 2014 (selected for republication in Best of ABI 2014: The Year in Business Bankruptcy)
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D.
- University of Chicago, A.M.
- Princeton University, A.B.
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
- US District Court for the Eastern District of California
- US District Court for the Southern District of California
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Honorable Deborah J. Saltzman, United States Bankruptcy Court Central District of California (2011-2013)