LOS ANGLELES, April 4, 2012 - International law firm Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP has been recognized by Latin Lawyer and International Financial Law Review (IFLR) for it's role in the Embraport financing for Brazil’s Santos Port, named by both publications as the “Project Finance Deal of the Year.” The Latin Lawyer awards were announced on Thursday, March 29, 2012 in São Paulo, Brazil, and the IFLR awards were announced the same evening in New York City.
The two awards bring Milbank’s total to 17 Deal of the Year Awards that the Project Finance Group has been awarded this year, as well as being named “Project Finance Firm of the Year” by Project Finance International (PFI).
In addition to Latin Lawyer and IFLR honors, the Project Finance team has also won the following awards:
Project Finance Magazine
- North America Transport Deal of the Year – PR-22
Milbank represented the lenders in connection with the 40-year, US$1.1 billion toll concession of the PR-22 and PR-5 toll roads in Puerto Rico.
- North America Biomass Deal of the Year – Gainesville
Milbank represented the lead arranger in the US$500 million project financing of the 100MW Gainesville biomass plant.
- North America Single Asset Power Deal of the Year – CPV Sentinel
Milbank represented the lenders in the US$795.5 million project financing of the development of the 800-MW gas-fired CPV Sentinel power plant to be located in California’s Coachella Valley.
- North America Transmission Deal of the Year – Wind Energy Transmission Texas
Milbank represented the mandated lead arrangers in connection with the US$584.5 million debt financing for the Wind Energy Texas Transmission project.
- Latin America Transport Deal of the Year – Embraport
Milbank represented the Inter-American Development Bank and the four international commercial participants, Caixa Geral, HSBC, Santander and WestLB AG, in connection with their US$430 million syndicated financing of the construction, operation and maintenance of a new private mixed-use container and liquids terminal in Brazil’s Santos Port.
- Latin America Mining Deal of the Year – Caserones
Milbank represented Japan Bank for International Cooperation, Mizuho Corporate Bank, Ltd., Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd., The Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, and Nippon Export and Investment Insurance in the US$1.1 billion project finance loan for the development of the Caserones copper mine in Chile.
- Latin America Power Deal of the Year – Norte II
Milbank represented lenders in the financing of the 433-MW Norte II combined cycle power plant located in Mexico’s Chihuahua state.
- Latin America Downstream Oil & Gas Deal of the Year – Reficar
Milbank represented the lenders in connection with the US$3.5 billion debt financing for the expansion and modernization of the Cartagena Refinery in Colombia, the country’s largest oil refinery.
Project Finance International
- Deal of the Year - Americas – PR-22
- Power Deal of the Year - Americas – CPV Sentinel
- Transport Deal of the Year - Americas – Embraport
- Mining Deal of the Year - Americas – Caserones
- Petrochemical Deal of the Year - Asia-Pacific – Jurong Aromatics
- Global Law Firm of the Year
- Deal of the Year – Reficar
- Oil & Gas Deal of the Year – Jurong Aromatics