SINGAPORE, January 5, 2011 – International law firm Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP has announced that Jacqueline Chan has been named partner. Ms. Chan advises on a wide range of international corporate and commercial finance and merger-and-acquisition transactions, and specializes in leading and structuring complex transactions for international clients both within and outside of Southeast Asia.
Her transactional experience includes mergers and acquisitions, leveraged finance, acquisition finance, structured debt financing, restructurings, capital markets and other corporate transactions. She regularly represents international private equity firms, corporations and leading banks and financial institutions, among others. Examples of recent representations include:
- Advising on all aspects of the highly complex US$1 billion acquisition of Indonesian coal mining company PT Bukit Makmur Mandiri Utama. ( Deal of the Year awards: IFLR, Finance Asia, IFR Asia and ALB)
- Several international private equity funds on the divestment of their stake in Meiya Power Company to China Guangdong Nuclear Power Corporation, which included a large portfolio of power assets. ( M&A: Outbound Investment deal of the year: China Business Law Journal)
- An international private equity firm in its sale of a stake in a listed Indonesian coal mining company to investors, including Asian sovereign wealth funds.
- Private equity firms in connection with their acquisition of shares in an Indonesian finance company.
- An Asian oil services and shipping company on the restructuring of its US$180 million Norwegian senior secured bonds.
- An international private equity investor in connection with the divestment of its stake in a copper mine in the Philippines.
- The award-winning refinancing of a self-arranged US$600 million senior secured facility for an Indonesian coal mining company.
- The issuer in a US$135 million structured equity-linked private financing. (Deal of the Year awards: Finance Asia and ALB)
- The primary incoming sponsor shareholder in the structured acquisition financing of PT Apexindo Pratama Duta Tbk. (Deal of the Year award: Asian Counsel)
- A private equity firm in its investment in PT Alfa Retailindo and subsequent divestment to Carrefour SA.
- The lender on a US$200 million facility to an iron ore miner in Mongolia’s first offshore syndicated loan.
In addition, Ms. Chan has represented issuers and underwriters in numerous capital-markets transactions, including the first dual listing of a technology company on the HKSE and NASDAQ, an investment-grade offering of a Malaysian shipping company and several high-yield debt issuances by a number of Indonesian and Indian corporates.
Ms. Chan is admitted to practice in Singapore, England and Wales. Ms. Chan holds a Bachelor of Law degree from the National University of Singapore.
Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP is a leading international law firm providing innovative legal solutions to clients throughout the world for more than 140 years. Milbank is headquartered in New York and has offices in Beijing, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, Munich, São Paulo, Singapore, Tokyo and Washington, DC.
The firm’s lawyers provide a full range of legal services to the world’s leading commercial, financial and industrial enterprises, as well as to institutions, individuals and governments. Milbank’s lawyers meet the needs of its clients by offering a highly integrated and collaborative range of services across key practice groups throughout its global network. Milbank’s integrated practice is underpinned by its attorneys’ acknowledged technical excellence, sectoral expertise and a strong tradition of innovation and client service.