Summer and Seven at Milbank
From day one, Milbank associates take on complex legal matters and cutting-edge cases. Everyone pitches in because we operate as streamlined teams with partners and associates collaborating side-by-side. While the work is definitely demanding, count on unflagging support as you jumpstart your career, whether or not that means moving toward partnership.
Summer at Milbank
You’ll do what we do, serious work…client meetings, conference calls, trial appearances, depositions and closings in a summer program filled with hands-on, meaningful assignments. As you learn what it means to be a Milbank associate, you begin to translate theory into practice by following the life cycle of a hypothetical company from inception to bankruptcy in an intensive eight-session program, rotating through three of our practices and participating in a pro bono assignment alongside partners.
The transition from law school happens fast. A week-long orientation for all first-year associates worldwide paves the way and formal and informal training to cultivate sophisticated legal minds continues throughout your career. At the end of the year, you have a great opportunity to hone the skills you’re learning while assisting those unable to pay for quality legal advice. At Milbank, pro bono isn’t a deferment, but an integral part of our culture so we offer a Fellowship program, a fully paid three months for you to do public service work.
The off-site gold conference gathers your entire associate class and, with a year under your belt, the transition from theory to practice comes into sharper focus. The sessions prepare you for the variety, the challenge and the analytical rigor required when you engage in complex legal matters with our clients around the world. Working on Milbank’s international projects like natural gas plants in Oman, a wind farm in Mongolia, a toll road in Peru, satellites above Africa, keep that world powered, connected and moving forward.
Leading corporations and financial institutions regularly seek out Milbank to handle their high stakes, high profile cases. Expect complicated acquisitions, bet-the-company disputes, hydra-headed litigations, complex cross jurisdictional transactions or intricate tax planning. Increasingly, these legal issues require a more in-depth background in business, economics and finance, which is why you will get paid to go to Harvard. We’re committed to sending every Milbank associate back to school for four weeks during his or her career via the unique program we’ve set up in partnership with Harvard.
Associates are constantly gaining more difficult assignments and responsibilities. Complicated, cross border transactions test your ability to juggle challenging legal demands with managing clients and junior associates. We also offer fourth years, the chance—again on our dime—to change the world and spend another three months doing pro bono work through the Fellowship program. The needs are urgent, the rewards are great.
Fifth, Sixth & Seventh Year
The Milbank@Harvard executive education program for midlevel to senior associates deepens your knowledge and understanding of the complex business world as it relates to critical legal issues. At this level, your focus expands to business development and leadership. Thinking ahead of the curve pushes you to anticipate what will drive economies through the next decade and keep Milbank a dominant force in industries on the frontiers of progress.
Milbank prepares you for the next big thing in your career by offering best-in-class training needed to succeed at the very highest level. Through groundbreaking programs like Milbank@Harvard, you will develop a real-world understanding of the nexus of business and law.WATCH THE VIDEO DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO
Partners will know your name, even across continents, because we depend on integrated global teams to deal with the immense complexities of today’s interconnected world. Milbank offices in the most influential financial centers in the US and abroad set the pace in cross-border, multi-jurisdictional deals.WATCH THE VIDEO DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO
Small teams with big responsibilities. Challenges will come quickly because clients bring us their toughest deals and cases, confident that we will apply not just legal knowledge but also our imagination in areas like corporate finance, securities, litigation and arbitration, project finance, major restructurings or sophisticated structured financing.WATCH THE VIDEO DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO
- Global Career Opportunities
- With offices around the world, Milbank is always on the look out for excellent talent. Find out about your global career opportunities.
- The Summer Program
- A microcosm of life at Milbank, our summer program offers law students an opportunity to engage in intellectually stimulating work, dealing with real matters alongside attorneys generous with their time and support.
To receive more information via email about Milbank's summer program, our firm or any of our programs and initiatives, fill out our web form by clicking here.
- Diversity and Women's Initiative
- We promote diversity and inclusion in all of our recruitment and retention efforts. We welcome people from different backgrounds who share one important quality—a commitment to excellence.
- Work/Life Balance
- This is a demanding profession and a little flexibility goes a long way in helping juggle work and everyday life. To ensure our lawyers succeed in both worlds, Milbank has an umbrella of policies designed to achieve balance.
- Attorney Benefits
We offer a comprehensive range of life-enhancing benefits and support programs, including flexible time, back-up childcare, health and life insurance, and other competitive benefits.
- Experienced Attorneys
- Milbank is always interested in talented attorneys with experience and expertise. Our global practice is consistently ranked among the leaders as evaluated by definitive guides to lawyers and practices.
- The Alumni
- Over and over again, Milbank’s training and professional development prove a valuable commodity as people move through their careers. Our alumni distinguish themselves in whatever direction they choose to follow.
- Administrative Recruiting
- Milbank’s administrative employees share our dedication to client service. Our reputation as a leading global law firm depends on the contributions of all individuals in the Milbank community.