Robert W. Mullen, Jr. is a partner in the New York office of Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy and a member of the firm's Securities Group.
Primary Focus & Experience
A partner since 1980, Mr. Mullen has extensive experience in international and domestic offerings of various types of securities, including equities, convertibles, American Depositary Receipts, Rule 144A/Regulation S securities and investment grade and high-yield debt securities, and on disclosure issues, general corporate matters and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance. Mr. Mullen also has significant experience in international and domestic corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, telecom finance, utility finance, restructurings and buyouts. He is recognized in The Legal 500 for his capital markets work.
Among his recent representations:
- Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation in all of its securities offerings and SEC reporting and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and in connection with the issuance by NTT DoCoMo of common stock in one of the largest IPOs ever.
- Compañía Anónima Nacional Teléfonos de Venezuela (CANTV) in its IPO transaction, identified as "Deal of the Decade" in Latin America by Euromoney.
- Underwriters' counsel for Verizon Communications Inc. and Verizon Wireless, the largest domestic telecom and wireless operators in the United States, including in a $28.1 billion acquisition financing to fund Verizon Wireless’ acquisition of Alltel Corporation.
- International Securities Exchange, the world's largest equity options exchange, in its NYSE-listed IPO.
- American Stock Exchange in connection with its recent acquisition by NYSE Group.
- Scottish Power plc in its listing of ADRs on the NYSE and in its acquisition and sale of Pacificorp.
- The Government of Canada, together with its crown corporations Export Development Canada and Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation in US securities offerings.
- The Government of Bermuda in its securities offerings and its guarantee of preference shares issued by The Bank of N.T. Butterfield & Son, Limited.
Major investment banks, including Banc of America, Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, UBS and others in offerings by numerous issuers.
Recognition & Accomplishments
Mr. Mullen was recognized as one of the top 25 capital markets attorneys in New York in Practical Law Company's publication Which Lawyer Yearbook and he was recommended for his work with debt capital markets by PLC Which Lawyer?
Mr. Mullen has been published in various publications, including International Financial Law Review and University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Business Law, and has been quoted by numerous journals, including Euromoney and The Financial Times.