Jonathan A. Maizel is a partner at Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy and heads the firm’s Washington DC-based Project Finance Group. A partner since 1997, he was previously resident in the firm’s New York and Tokyo offices.
Primary Focus & Experience
Mr. Maizel focuses mainly on representing parties in the development and financing of oil and gas, independent power, nuclear fuel cycle, airport, transportation-sector, natural resource and other infrastructure projects. He has particular expertise in multi-sourced financings, especially those involving official credit agencies (including multilateral, export credit and development financing agencies), commercial banks and capital markets lenders.
News:Milbank Earns Top Tier Rank in 19 Areas by Chambers & Partners Global 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Seventeen Partners Earn Highest Ranking in One or More Law SpecialtiesMilbank Partners Named to “Guide to the World’s Leading Project Finance Lawyers” and “International Who’s Who of Project Finance Lawyers”
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nineteen featured on 2011 lists
His recent and current representations include advising lenders and other parties on:
- an LNG Project in Peru
- multiple hydrocarbon projects in Nigeria
- multiple nuclear-sector projects in the United States, including two proposed brownfield nuclear power stations and two proposed uranium enrichment projects
- multiple wind energy projects in the United States
- multiple geothermal and biomass energy projects in the United States
- multiple airport projects, including in Peru and Colombia
- a container port project in Brazil
- a petrochemical project in Brazil
- a pulp and paper project in Uruguay
- the sale of multiple domestic gas-fired power stations, both as “single-asset” and “portfolio” sales
- the acquisition of multiple power stations in the United States, both as “single-asset” and “portfolio” acquisitions
multiple leveraged lease financings of power stations in the United States
Recognition & Accomplishments
Mr. Maizel has been named one of the world’s leading Project Finance attorneys by numerous publications, including “Who’s Who Legal”, “Chambers USA”, “Guide to the World’s Leading Project Finance Lawyers” and “Best Lawyers” for the Washington, DC area. Mr. Maizel is admitted to the Bars of the State of New York and the District of Columbia. He is fluent in Italian and semi-fluent in Spanish and French. He is the author of a chapter dealing with official credit agencies in the book “International Project Finance Law and Practice”, which was recently published by Oxford University Press.