Alexander Rinne is a partner in the Munich office of Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy and a member of the firm’s Corporate Group. He joined Milbank in mid-2010 to establish the firm’s German and European antitrust practice.
Primary Focus & Experience
Mr. Rinne focuses on both German and European competition law, including related regulatory areas such as telecommunications, broadcasting and recycling.
News:Milbank Advises DMK Eis GmbH on the Acquisition of Rosen Eiskrem
Link to the German version of the deal notice: Milbank berät DMK Eis GmbH beim Erwerb von Rosen EiskremMilbank Advises Eifeler Holding on the Sale of its Tool Coating Business to voestalpine
Link to the German version of the deal notice: Milbank berät Eifeler Holding beim Verkauf ihres Werkzeugbeschichtungsgeschäfts an voestalpineMilbank Advises Apax on Sale of LR Health & Beauty Systems to Aloco
Link to the German version of the deal notice: Milbank berät Apax Partners beim Verkauf von LR Health & Beauty Systems an Aloco
More News about Dr. Alexander Rinne
Recent major cases and transactions include:
- Defending a leading manufacturer of power cables in relation to the investigation of the European Commission with regard to an alleged cartel in the market for power cables.
- Defending a leading manufacturer of coffee in relation to the investigations of the German Federal Cartel Office with regard to alleged cartel activities in the markets for coffee.
- Acting for ProSiebenSat.1 Media AG on the sale of its Dutch and Belgian TV and print operations to a consortium of international media companies led by Sanoma Corporation.
- Acting for Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group and Sumitomo Corporation in relation to the acquisition of the aircraft leasing business of the Royal Bank of Scottland.
- Acting for Germany’s two largest dairy companies Humana and Nordmilch in relation to a series of transactions including the merger of Humana and Nordmilch.
- Acting for Marfig in relation to the acquisition of Keystone.
- Acting for Edison S.p.A. in relation to damages claim by CDC regarding the alleged hydrogen peroxide cartel before the Regional Court of Dortmund.
- Representing Sustainable Resources International in damages litigation against Der Grüne Punkt – Duales System Deutschland following a successful dominance complaint before the European Commission and the European Court of Justice.
Prior to joining Milbank, Mr. Rinne was head of the German antitrust practice of a major international law firm and head of its Munich office. He specializes in merger control procedures as well as cartel investigations and dominance cases before the relevant antitrust authorities. He also has extensive expertise in antitrust litigation before German and European courts where he represents clients particularly in the context of antitrust damages cases, refusal to supply actions and cases in relation to merger control decisions.
In addition, Mr. Rinne, regularly advises clients in relation to the antitrust aspects of joint ventures, strategic alliances, distribution agreements and general antitrust compliance issues.
Recognition & Accomplishments
Mr. Rinne is named in the global Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers and Economists by Global Competition Review. He is recommended as a leading lawyer in antitrust law by the German directory JUVE Handbook and highly regarded by Legal 500. He is also ranked in competition and European law in Germany by Chambers Europe.
Mr. Rinne was admitted to the German bar in 1999. He studied law at the universities of Duesseldorf and Kiel, Germany. In Kiel, he also obtained his doctorate degree (Dr. jur.) in 1997.